DRIVING TRANSFORMATIVE CHANGE: FOREIGN AFFAIRS AND THE 2030 AGENDA
Tuesday, 30 April 2019, 17:00-19:00
German Federal Foreign Office, Europasaal
The 2030 Agenda is essential to peace and stability worldwide and is becoming an important point of reference for foreign policymakers. As more knowledge about violent conflicts and fragility is produced, the relevance of the SDGs to achieving (re)solutions becomes increasingly clear.
The aim of the event is to present and discuss a new essay series on the relevance of SDGs to foreign and security policy. In launching this series, we seek to underline the importance of using the SDGs to achieve core foreign policy objectives and engage in a dialogue with foreign policy practitioners on their role in delivering sound practices.
The essay series points towards the key role of foreign policy in providing leadership, strengthening multilateralism, enabling conflict-sensitive change and helping achieve synergies between different dimensions of sustainable development in countries that need this most. These are important conditions to manage profound shifts of the international order that a transformation towards a sustainable future entails. Foreign policy engagement can account for the fact that SDG implementation is an intrinsically political process and must be a cooperative endeavour.
During the launch event, we will discuss specific action areas and needs. Among the topics included in the discussion are: SDG financing in fragile states, managing trade-offs between SDGs through diplomacy, as well as the contribution of foreign policy to conflict prevention through ‘sustainable foreign policy’.
- Susanne Baumann, Federal Government Commissioner for Disarmament and Arms Control and Head of the Directorate-General for International Order, the United Nations and Arms Control at the Federal Foreign Office
- Oli Brown, Associate Fellow, Energy, Environment and Resources Department, Chatham House
- Fatima Denton, Director, UNU Institute for Natural Resources in Africa (UNU-INRA)
- Adolf Kloke-Lesch, Executive Director, Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) Germany
- David Steven, Senior Fellow and Associate Director, New York University's Center on International Cooperation
- Verónica Tomei, Project Manager, German Council for Sustainable Development
Moderated by Alexander Carius, Managing Director, adelphi
The event opening will be followed by a panel discussion as well as snacks and drinks in the lobby (until 20:00).
Please note that the event will be in English.
The launch event will take place in the “Europasaal" of the Federal Foreign Office.
Please use the entrance at Unterwasserstraße 10, 10117 Berlin.
There will be a security check before entering the building. Participants are requested to present their passport or another form of official identification.
Small briefcases and bags will be scanned and may be brought into the conference. We kindly ask you to please leave larger items of luggage at your hotel.